RE: building the _tkinter.a or _tkinter.dll for cygwin

Volker Zell writes:

>    Dennis> The next lack of knowledge I am exhibiting is that I can't get
the
>    Dennis> _tkinter.c to compile and link.
>
>    Dennis> What I have found so far is that there is a python script
called
>    Dennis> setup.py that is run. It tries to detect where
>
>Below is the relevant portion of my version of setup.py:
>

>Note that I moved the cygwin tcl/tk stuff from usr/include,
>usr/lib out of the way
>and compiled the X11 variant of tcl/tk. I have the relevant
>header and libs now under
>/usr/local/...
>
>I also compiled
>
>o BLT2.4u - http://www.scriptics.com/ftp/blt/
>
>and have that under /usr/local tree.
>
>I can only say that with this setup python compiles OOTB and also the
>_tkinter module. It even works fine. I checked with the supplied demos.

FWIW -

_tkinter and its variants will work just fine with the
Cygwin tcltk distribution

You will need the tcl/tk x11 include files though
These live in their normal place in /usr/include/x11
You will either need to down load the tcltk source distribution
as these are no longer distributed in the Cygwin package
or you can get just the headers from here
http://www.vso.cape.com/~nhv/files/cygwin/X11.zip

You also have to comment out the line in setup.py that
tries to link with xlib

        # Finally, link with the X11 libraries
#        libs.append('X11')

Other then this everything works out of the box with the current
Python and Cygwin distributions.

Cheers

Norman Vine