[Fwd: Please help with cygwin problems]

Please help by answering my setup.exe/installation questions.  I first
sent this email just to the web
site from which I'd attempted a download.  I now am sending it to the
wider cygwin mail list, in the
hope of getting help sooner.  I did check the FAQs and mail-list
archives, but found nothing pertinent.

                        Richard Raimi

I am a novice in downloading/WindowsME(my operating system), and perhaps
everything else I need to know in order to download and install cygwin.
Here is a list of my problems that I experienced when trying to use
setup.exe to download cygwin from your ftp.freesoftware.com site.
Please help if you can!

1. I have an analog modem, and when I run setup.exe---the one with a
link on RedHat's Cygwin page---the downloads go way too slow.  We're
talking 4, 5 hours, and then it got killed by itself, don't know how.

2. The setup.exe documentation isn't clear to me.  What is *supposed* to
happen? Is setup.exe supposed to first download a bunch of tar files and
then untar them and do the installation?  Do you have to run setup.exe
twice to do this, once to download, once to install?  Also, can someone
explain the choices setup.exe gives you "Download from the internet",
etc.

3. Setup.exe insists on downloading tar files of source code.  I don't
need the source, only the executables.  How can I stop it from
downloading source code?

4. After initially running setup.exe and having it get killed before it
finished the downloads, I thought I'd just go back and start it up and
choose which packages I wanted installed.  I tried clicking only
"groff", for instance.  setup.exe then totally ignored the fact that I'd
checked off only groff, and started to download all of the packages in
latest and contrib----downloading packages that were already downloaded,
paying no attention to the fact they were in place.  Any ideas how to
control this critter?

            Thanks,

            Richard Raimi

P.S.: If the alternative is to download "by hand" and not via setup.exe,
I don't have a specialized ftp program on my WindowsME machine, I only
can do "ftp <somewhere>" from the "Run" window from the Start menu.  Do
you have any better suggestions, and free ftp software I should download
first?