tar hates stdout? possible bug

For some strange reason, tar has lost its ability to write correctly to stdout.
Consider the two following commands:

tar -cv folder>filename.tar
tar -cvf filename.tar folder

they should generate the same archive. They don't. The archive generated in the
first way is slightly larger (a matter of a hundred byte), and invalid right
after the second file, so only one file is listed. Oddly enough, this happens
only when recursign through directories, only when a directory and not a series
of file names is specified, and it affects only tar.

An interesting, "on the fly" test follows:

D:\home\Hyperion>tar -cv Desktop|tar -t
Desktop/
Desktop/AUTOEXEC.BAT
Desktop/CapOrderForWeb.PDF
Desktop/console.png
Desktop/
Desktop/AUTOEXEC.BAT
tar: Skipping to next header
Desktop/DCONFIG.SYS
Desktop/desk.png
Desktop/Desktop.rar
tar: 343 garbage bytes ignored at end of archive
tar: 288 garbage bytes ignored at end of archive

D:\home\Hyperion>

this from inside the standard Windows NT command shell. They confirmed me it's
not the typical "lf-to-crlf", and I experimented that the bug is specific to
tar. However writing directly to disk works

from inside bash, it works since when I mounted / as binary