ssh/sshd command line missing response

Hi All...

Can someone please help me. I am having trouble with ssh command-line
operation; interactive use is fine. This may be a newbie question, but I'm
stuck.

I am using the latest complete CygWin binaries on a Win2k box. I actually
have the same issue on several Win2k boxes. I am running sshd as a service
with SrvAny, running as LocalSystem. I have the 20010325 cygwin1.dll file to
prevent crashes when changing user-id in ssh/sshd.
I have no explicit settings for CYGWIN or TERM or any other special
environment variables, I just have the CygWin stuff on the front of my PATH.

My desire is to use Unison with this ssh/sshd combination. When I tried it,
I got a "broken pipe" error message, so I started tracking it down. What I
found is this.

When I have a /bin/bash shell in my passwd file, if I type

ssh localhost 'echo test'

and answer the password question I get no response, the command just
completes. If I do this same command in an interactive ssh session, it works
fine. If I change my passwd file to select /bin/sh shell and reboot (just to
make sure the server knows about the change) then

ssh localhost 'echo test'

works and I see test in my console (after I type the password). Do I have a
setup problem here? How do I correct this with /bin/bash?

Now even with the above command working with /bin/sh, the command

ssh localhost '/cygdrive/progra~1/unison/unison -version'

does not work. It should display the version number and exit. But again, it
works if I use it interactively instead of in command line mode. It also
works fine if I type

ssh localhost -t '/cygdrive/progra~1/unison/unison -version'

I've read the FAQ and User Guide and searched a lot of e'mail but I'm stuck
at this point. Is this a setup problem on my part?

Thanks,

...Karl