Re: -mno-cygwin

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 12:08:04PM -0500, Art Povelones wrote:
>At 01:34 PM 3/30/01 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 12:22:11PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>>As you said it's YO and MO is that -mcygwin, -mcrtdll and -mmsvcrt makes
>>>even more sense.
>>
>>Except what's a "msvcrt" or a "crtdll"?  They're just strings of characters.
>>
>>Expecting people to know about these DLLs or any package name other than
>>cygwin or (maybe) unix seems like it would still be subject to confusion.
>
>This newbie's strong "vote" or urging would be for -mcygwin, -mcrtdll and
>-mmsvcrt.  It just makes more sense to me and this way I immediately know
>what I don't know.  I'm also less intimidated by sets of things than
>inverse sets.

-mcygwin exists already.  Are you actually seriously asking that we tell
everyone who uses the cygwin versin of gcc that they have to use "gcc
-mcygwin"?  I must be misinterpretting something because that is pretty
crazy.

I'm not sure what you are talking about by "knowing what you don't
know".  Should I implement a -mkernel32 -muser32 -madvapi32, too?  It's
hard to know what you don't know, so I assume that this will be a pretty
comprehensive list.  Or maybe we just need a -mdwim.

If you are a "newbie" then I assume that you probably don't know what
"crtdll" or "msvcrt" stands for.  I'm not sure how adding switches to
accomodate stuff that you don't know about is going to be helpful.
Especially when it will require that you track down documentation for
gcc somewhere.

Again, I do not doubt that a -mmsvcrt could be useful for some people.
This thread started with suggestions about what would make things
"clearer".  It is my contention that these options will not help
in that regard and that -mno-cygwin should be pretty intuitively
obvious.  If -mno-cygwin is not obvious then I very sincerely doubt
that -mmsvcrt will be helpful.

Anyway, we can stop this theorizing about whether I'm going to add
-mmsvcrt or -mcrtdll.  I'm not going to do it.  Maybe someone will
provide a patch, though.  If so, I'll consider adding it.

cgf