Porting a UNIX app to WinNT (2000,XP)

Hi,

Several years ago someone in our shop used the cygwin environment
and related tools to port a UNIX TCP/IP Port Level communications client
to the DOS world. This is a small simple executable that still works in
Win9x. It was never ported to the NT world.

Both Windows and cygwin have changed over the years. I need to update
this port for the NT environment. Is cygwin still an appropriate tool to use
for something like this? I don't understand the Windows (or even the
UNIX) IP Port level programming environment well enough to rewrite the
code into native Windows code, so I need a set of libraries that will
emulate the UNIX  system calls, especially the IP Port level
communications, in the Windows world, and the appropriate compiler to
make use of them.

The original code runs and recompiles easily on current AIX, HP/UX and
Linux environments, using native C compilers for each. On Windows I
have access to Microsoft C and could update to any version required, or I
can get any downloadable compiler suggested.

I am not sure if I am even asking the right questions. Commercial
solutions to the libraries would be considered if they could be used with
the Microsoft C environment and it would make future maintenance
simpler.

Werner (Vern) Kliewer
Sr. ITS Analyst
Mid-Range Support