RE: Can't Open Display

I have had this problem for some time now and was going to reformat
(sometime eventually when I had time) but hey for eduacational purposes here
is my complete installation and config info:
AMD Athlon 700
DFI something or another MOBO
Voodoo 3 3500
Realtech 8139 NIC
Zoltrix winmodem
Ensonique Audio PCI Sound Card
HP - USB CD-Writer
2x DVDDrive (on secondary IDE)
30G Western Digital HD
     3 partitions 5, 10, 15
Belkin Optikal Mouse
Floppy drive
Memorex quiet key keyboard

Software:
Win2k (not service packed)
DirectX 7 (not 8)
Media Player 7
IE 5.5
Voodoo 3500 Visual Reality TV
Cygwin (latest version downloaded a week ago)
Half Life
Starcraft
Age of Empires 2
Adobe Premiere
Adobe photoshop
Oni
MS Visual J++
WinDVD
Diablo 2
AIM
Disk Dump
Office 2000
Omni-x 6.2
Winzip and other misc apps like that.

also I would like to add that when the xserver is not running it takes xterm
a couple of seconds (like 10) as apposed if the x server (both omni x or
Xwin) is started Xterm comes back right away saying it cannot open display
127.0.0.1:0 (I have tried my ip and varations on the port)
hope this helps
-jeremy