GL/gl.h in w32api

My apologies for what may be a frequently asked question, but my
searches of the cygwin and mingw mailing lists have failed to find
an appropriate answer.

Is there any reason why the include files in the opengl package
shouldn't be moved to the w32api package?

Currently, opengl-1.1.0-3 installs these header files in /usr/include/GL
which causes numerous problems when compiling with -mno-cygwin as
discussed in recent mailings to the cygwin mailing list.  These posts
suggest fragile work arounds such as "-I/usr/include" and modifications
to the header files themselves and/or -D__CYGWIN__.

The appropriate solution is to recognize that the OpenGL header files
should simply be part of the w32api, but are missing from the lastest
w32api-0.5 snapshots.

Moving these files over, would mean that the header files and import
libraries (i.e. opengl32.a) would be distributed at the same time, the
headers would appear in /usr/include/w32api and be found when compiling
both with and without -mno-cygwin, and would greatly simplify the tests
defining the APIENTRY macro, as this header would always refer to the
opengl32.dll implementation.

#if defined(__CYGWIN__) || defined(_WIN32) && defined(__GNUC__)
    || (_MSC_VER >= 800) || defined(_STDCALL_SUPPORTED)

This simplification would also free up the /usr/include/GL/gl.h for use
by the X11 client variants of the OpenGL headers.

My apologies once again if this idea has been rejected previously.

Roger
--
Roger Sayle,                         E-mail: roger@metaphorics.com
Bioinformatics Group, Metaphorics,   WWW: http://www.metaphorics.com/