One last xfree question: funny monitor dependant patterns

Hello,

I have one last xfree question. Under Linux I have to choose the X server
I am need so that it matches the hardware but under cygwin there is just
one executable called XWin.exe. How does it know what video card I have?I
I ask for the following reason: when I run the X server the background
does not look as nice as the windows 2k background: let me explain: I am
using SAMSUNG SyncMaster 700NF monitor (a flat CRT) with a 3dfx voodoo3
card. I see some funny wave like patterns behind the gray pattern when
I launch X Windows. These patterns are the same as those I see (and I
assume other users would see them too) when I click Start, Shutdown
(you need a fairly light background to see them and they only appear
after clicking Shutdown). How can we keep the patterns from showing up?

Thanks,

Neil