RE: RCS 5.7 Patches

[...]

> I hate it when this kind of advice gets into the archives.
>
> The "Just link /bin/sh to /bin/bash" advice is IMO always wrong.

IMHO, you're right. I was just giving a quick hack to Louis. This is why I
made sure to include the "temporarily link [...]" .

> If /bin/sh is misbehaving it should be fixed.  Please don't just blindly
> follow this advice.  Instead, participate in an open source and work
> towards a solution rather than just narrowly focusing on getting your
> immediate problem solved.

Again, right. AFAIK plain /bin/sh suffers from the "sometimes ash doesn't
like a.out" problem mentioned by Jason Tishler on
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-10/msg00545.html , and all I did
was repeat here his intructions. Of course it would be better for the whole
Cygwin community if I contributed with a patch for sh (if it indeed has a
problem),  and I really would be very proud to participate on this
remarkable open source effort which is Cygwin, but unfortunately I cannot
dig into it right now.

All I wanted to do was to help Louis to get to compile RCS on cygwin, since
I've been through some pain with it as well before I finally managed to do
it. I did not mean to divert users from the right use of Cygwin (i.e.
/bin/sh remains as /bin/sh and all works fine).

> Of course, it would help if we understood exactly what was wrong with
> /bin/sh that required this link...

<shame>
To be honest, I'm not even sure this a.out problem remains. All I know is
that configuring RCS for compilation with bash in the place of sh works
fine.
</shame>

Best,

Andre