Re: help: Glib under Cygwin

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 09:50:17PM -0400, David A. Cobb wrote:
>At Friday 10:31 AM 4/6/01, Glen Coakley wrote:
>
>>What version are you trying to compile? When I attempt to 'configure' glibc
>>2.2.2 I get the follow message:
>>

>>$ configure
>>checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
>>*** The GNU C library is currently not available for this platform.
>>*** So far nobody cared to port it and if there is no volunteer it
>>*** might never happen.  So, if you have interest to see glibc on
>>*** this platform visit
>>***     http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/porting.html
>>*** and join the group of porters
>
>Well, that's nice.  I had the chutzpah to suggest I would like to take a look
>at that.  And one Ulrich Drepper of Redhat went positively ballistic.  I won't
>quote his reply but it was entirely unfriendly.   Obviously Redhat is a diverse
>organization with many divergent interests.
>
>I have enough problems without needing to swim against that sort of current.

Um, yeah, Ulrich is not a Windows lover, to put it mildly.  He's hardly alone
at Red Hat, though.

I wasn't around during Cygwin's inception but I believe that Cygwin
actually exists because Ulrich was adamant about not porting glibc to
Windows.

However, aren't we talking about 'glib' not 'glibc'?

cgf