Re: ksh to bash question

"Matthew O. Persico" wrote:

> Not exactly a cygwin question, but since I am converting to Cygwin...
>
> In KSH, you could take each shell function, put it in its own file, set
> the FPATH envvar to point where the files are and then invoke functions.
> The first time the function is called, the FPATH is searched. If the
> file is found is is sourced and executed. Subsequent invokations are
> merely executed.
>
> In BASH, does one have to explicitly source all functions before first
> use or does FPATH (or its equivilent) exist? If not, where are functions
> traditionally stored and where (.bash_profile, .bashrc, etc) are they
> sourced?

This is not built into Bash, however, in the examples directory of the
source distribution are many examples of scripts. Including one named
require.bash in the scripts.noah subdirectory. In all there are about
400K of examples in those subdirectories. One or more should fit your
needs.
--
AJ Reins - tbisp<AT>qwest.net -or- tbisp<AT>my-deja.com
Warning label I would like to see on software: