Re: Updated: cygwin, mingw, w32api

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 07:58:49PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 11:56:07PM +0200, Sprenger, Karel wrote:
>>>After redefining the old-style symlinks I had to the new cygwin 1.3.1
>>>style, I noticed that the cd command (a bash builtin) no longer follows
>>>symlinks.  For example, /usr/lib/terminfo is a symlink to the directory
>>>/usr/share/terminfo, but cd -L /usr/lib/terminfo nor cd -L
>>>/lib/terminfo work.  Leaving out the -L option results in the same
>>>message "bash: cd: /usr/lib/terminfo: No such file or directory".
>>>Ironically, NT's explorer recognizes the symlink and behaves as
>>>expected.
>>
>>This particular symlink is actually broken in 1.1.8, too.
>>
>>I have no problems with other symlinks, though.
>>
>>Can you provide a simple test case that worked on 1.1.8 but fails on
>>1.3.1?
>
>Perhaps the problem isn't cygwin, but is the ncurses package (which
>provides that symlink).  do you get the same failure with ncurses-5.2-5
>(released today)?

No, it's definitely cygwin but AFAICT it's a long-standing problem
that has nothing to do with 1.3.1.

In fact, it's one of those "Oh, my gosh.  How did this ever work?"
sinking feeling kind of problems.

Not that there is any need to panic of course.  I, uh, hope that no one
is using cygwin for anything important...  No, nevermind.  I'm sure
everything will be fine...  Just fine...

cgf