RE: ntsec environment variable

I basically do this when I install a new Cygwin environment:

#!/bin/sh
##begin script
cd /
echo Changing ownership of all files to admins.admins
chown -R 544.544 .

echo Removing write permissions for others and groups
chmod -R og-w .

echo Changing ownership of home directories
for dir in /home/* ; do
  if [ -d $dir ]; then
    _USER=`basename $dir`
    _GROUP=`id -g $_USER`
    if [ $_GROUP ]; then
      echo Changing $dir to be owned by $_USER.$_GROUP
      chown -R $_USER.$_GROUP $dir
    fi
  fi
done

echo Fixing /tmp
chmod -R a+rwxt /tmp

echo Fixing /etc
chmod -R 644 /etc/*
chmod -R 755 /etc/postinstall /etc/setup
if [ -d /etc/ssmtp ]; then
  chmod -R 755 /etc/ssmtp
fi

echo Fixing files in /
chmod -R 644 /cygwin.ico /setup.log*

echo Done.
##end script

You may have to manually fix things like /etc/ssh_host*_key files if
you're running ssh under a different user context than user 544
(administrator).

Mike Erdely
http://mike.erdelynet.com/