Re: Pause with make

At 02:00 PM 4/27/2001, Manisha Jain wrote:

>Hello,
>

>I have this peculiar problem. When I run "make", and I go 4 directories
>deep, make just pauses for 1/2 minute.
>
>If I change cygwin1.dll to cygwin1.dll ver 1.1.6, the pause is not there.
>make just zip along all the directories.
>
>I have the latest cygwin (ver 1.3.1). Also others in the engineering group
>does not have the same problem.
>
>I tries to watch the task manager and nothing much is going on with the cpu.
>Uninstall and reinstall of cygwin doesn't help. I know that the problem can
>be anywhere from makefile to somewhere in cygwin.
>
>The pause is distracting and I don't know how to go about figuring it out.
>Do you have any clues for me?

Try running make with strace, something like the following:

   strace -o make.stracelog make

While this is proceeding, open another command window and do the following
from the same directory.

   tail -f make.stracelog

When you hit a pause, note what's happening in the strace log file.  This
should give you an idea of what Cygwin is doing with the time.  If this
doesn't enlighten you, send an annotated version of the log file to the
list.  Either way, please report back.