Execute "strace" on an executable in GNU make?

I'm getting an unexplainable error (Invalid Argument) when I run a
particular executable, but only when I run it from "make".  The executable
is not a cygwin executable.  It runs fine when I run it from Bash or DOS,
just not from within Make.  I've tried changing the call from "<program>" to
"cmd /c <program>" and "/bin/sh.exe -c <program>", but both of those fail.
I tried putting a print statement at the top of "main" (It's a C program),
but it doesn't get there when it fails.

Will running the executable from the Makefile with "strace" help me?  I'm
trying to figure out how to do this, but no matter what I specify with
"strace", I only get a zero length output file.  Other people here with
similar environments don't get this symptom.