installing gcc 2.5.8 and using it with cygwin

I have this old source code from Hugues Hoppe who deals with surface
reconstruction from unorganized points and many other things dealing with
computer graphics.  My dilemma is that his code includes variable
definitions within his FOR loops.  This worked for him since he used gcc
2.5.8, but this causes an error in gcc builds later than 2.5.8.  I  don't
feel like changing 28 files with more that 10 for loops in each.  So if
someone could help me in configuring gcc 2.5.8 on cygwin then you would make
a struggling undergrad very grateful.

Thanks,
Jon V.L.