Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?

Hi!

Tuesday, 01 May, 2001 Andy Piper andyp@bea.com wrote:

>>What does "the headers change the whole time" mean?  What specifically

AP> It means that each time I install a new version of w32api or the mingw
AP> one's I have to fix XEmacs compilation in some way or other.

>>caused you problems?  Was it the move of headers to /usr/include/w32api?

AP> That didn't help. My problem is not whether this was a good or bad thing to
AP> do, but rather that it changed again (remember the move to the new headers
AP> etc?)

i wonder if it was my changes to w32api that change _ANONYMOUS_*
semantics? they surely can break applications that include headers
individually without including <windows.h> first. since you didn't
state yet what exactly the problem with headers was, i can only guess.
if some application included individual w32api headers without
<windows.h>, i think it's wrong. i think you understand that api
writer should make some assumptions about how this api will be used
and act accordingly. "always include windows.h" is, i think, quite
logical assumption. and, speaking of this specific change, it was made
to not break programs that do include windows.h

i think you understand that "don't change it in any way" is a bit,
uhm, unrealistic attitude.

i wholeheartedly agree that lots of cygwin users will benefit from
rock-stable cygwin. the main question is "what cygwin team should do
for this?" don't change anything? this won't make things stable.
maintain "stable" and "development" branches? well, perhaps somebody
will be doing this, but the question of "should we merge w32api
changes from devel branch to the stable one, and if we should, then
when?" is still unanswered.