rlogind/telnetd/ftpd How do I fugure out connection refused

Folks,

 Ok, I have reread the faq and user guide.
 (not that I understood it all...)
 (and I have been happily using B19 & B20 for 2.5 years now)
 I set CYGWIN   to  binmode tty ntsec
   in the system env variables
 I put c:\cygwin\bin in system path
 I ran mkpasswd -d >etc/passwd
        mkgroup -d >etc/group
 I rebooted and verified the cygwin inetd was started,
   and two inetd processes are running.

 I get connection refused when I try to telnet.
 How do I start to figure this out?

Thanks, Mark

Also, the instructions in the readme are a bit unclear.
When I try to create a key with the text C:\usr\sbin\inetd.exe  (where it
really is)
regedt32 (or regedit) compain that "\" is an illegal character.

  - The environment variable CYGWIN must be either set in the system
    environment to be active from start on or you can set CYGWIN thru
    the registry:
    Under the key HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
    create a key of type REG_SZ (String) named like the full DOS path
    to the application, eg. "C:\usr\bin\inetd.exe" and with the value
    equal to the preferred CYGWIN settings, eg "binmode tty ntsec".