From: Jean Jordaan [mailto:jean@mosaicsoftware.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2001 8:56 AM
To: cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Cc: kragen@pobox.com
Subject: Telnet/ssh TERM question

Hi all

recommended Cygwin:

"Jean Jordaan" <Jean@mosaicsoftware.com> writes:
> But personally I use Cygwin, which includes the normal Un*x telnet and
> ssh clients, with normal bash and readline, and all the other good
> things a proper commandline environment brings with it. And it is GPL.
> http://www.cygwin.com/

That triggered the following query from Kragen Sitaker
<kragen@pobox.com>:

"What TERM setting do you use on the machines you ssh to?  'cygwin' is
not yet widely recognized, 'vt100' and 'ibmpc' work terribly on
Solaris, and 'ansi' doesn't seem to have standout, so less complains
at me.  Is there a better widely-distributed termcap/terminfo entry
for cygwin?  Alternatively, is there a better terminal emulator I
could use for cygwin?"

So far, I've been more or less happy with 'ansi', and I don't have
experience with Solaris, so I can't assist Kragen. Do any of you have
any advice for him?

Thanks for taking the trouble to read this,
Jean Jordaan