Re: SIGTERM does not stop backend postgres processes immediately

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 09:09:28AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> Blueskying a concept here: what about cygwin opening all sockets in
> non-blocking mode, and if the app thinks that it is a blocking call wait
> on the socket && on a signal event?
>
> Obviously not trivial to get working right, but
> a) would it work on 95?
> b) thoughts?

b) I have just applied a patch to Cygwin which uses overlapped IO
   together with the Winsock2 calls WSARecv, WSARecvFrom, WSASend
   and WSASendTo if available. The new mechanism is interruptable
   by signals. If Winsock2 is not available the new implementation
   just falls back to using the non-inerruptable Winsock1 calls.

   I would like to ask people to test it especially in conjunction
   with PostgreSQL, which I haven't set up.

   Note that this patch does not change the behaviour of direct
   NT service processes (inetd, cygrunsrv) to be not interruptable
   by signals!

a) Win95 will participate if the users have updated their system to
   OSR2 or installed a newer IE or "Winsock2 for 95" from the
   Microsoft web pages.

   OTOH, if we only implement things which are available in older
   OS versions, too, we would never be able to provide some new
   features of newer OSes to the Cygwin users.

   As the bottom line, adding functionality sometimes means: "Sorry,
   only available since 98 (W2K, XP)..."

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.