cygwin interaction with explorer

I'd like vim to be the default action for txt, c, h, log, etc files.  So, on
my win2k machine, I set the default action to

C:\cygwin\bin\vim.exe -u /usr/local/bin/dosrc "%1"

This works great except if the file is on a remote server.  For example, if
the file is \\server\share\file.txt, vim will try to open
\server\share\file.txt, which of course fails.  A test program indicates
that Cygwin is at fault and not vim.  Running the test program with strace
does *not* show the problem.

Does anyone else see this?

Thanks,
Kevin