win32 api and using in Cygwin.

Hi,
This isn't a programming question, but I think more of a setup question...

I setup cygwin using the setup.exe from the web site.  Everything seems to
be in order, but I am having some problems compiling programs that have
elements of win32 in them. For example, in a simple program, I can get a
message box to pop up with no problems, but simple data types such as HDC
and PAINTSTRUCT are unrecognized and therefore treated as parse errors. I've
included windows.h, and that should be all I need, right?  I've also tried
adding compiler flags, such as
-mwindows, but i still get these data types treated as parse errors....

some code:

#include <windows.h>

int   WINAPI WinMain(
      HINSTANCE   hInstance,
      HINSTANCE   hPrevInstance,
      LPSTR       pszCmdLine,
      int         nCmdShow
  )
{
   WNDCLASS wndClass;

   wndClass.style = 0;
}

Just an example, but when I try to reference an attribute of wndClass, it
will get treated as a parse error....

any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or has someone seen this before?  I'm very
new to cygwin.

Thanks in advance,
ROb