Cygwin 1.3.1-1 has an empty file for libtool

I downloaded the entire set of packages using cygwin - setup.exe yesterday
and installed them automagically.  After messing around for a while, I
discovered that Cygwin 1.3.1-1 has an empty file for libtool.

I tried downloading libtool-1.4.tar.gz from the Files menu at
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/, but it has the same empty file for
libtool as does Cygwin 1.3.1-1.

I then downloaded libtool-1.3.5.tar.gz from the Files menu at
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/ and expanded it.  Using the Cygwin
shell, I cd'd to the libtool-1.3.5 directory and typed:

./ltconfig ltmain.sh

This created libtool.  There is no file called libtoolize.  There is a file
called libtoolize.in, however, and it is a script.

When I try to run libtoolize.in, I get:
$ ./libtoolize.in
cd: can't cd to @pkgdatadir@
libtoolize: cannot list files in `@pkgdatadir@'

I'm completely stuck!

I'm new to Cygwin.  The reason I'm messing around with libtool is so that I
can build the Apache Portable Runtime (http://apr.apache.org) using the
tarballs at http://apr.apache.org/from-cvs/.  I'm in way over my head when
stuff breaks like this!  I'm having difficulty understanding the finer
points of Cygwin and then libtool, and getting them to work, so I can again
s-t-r-e-t-c-h myself into building Apache connectors.

When I try to run Apache's buildconf script, it says:

$ ./buildconf
buildconf: checking installation...
buildconf: autoconf version 2.13 (ok)
buildconf: libtool version 1.3.5 (ok)
libtoolize not found in path

Help!  Please reply directly to my email address, I don't subscribe to this
list.
Sincerely,

Mike Slinn