Re: crontab: can't obtain passwd entry

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 08:23:04AM -0400, Louis Bohm wrote:
> I did do a mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd and a mkgroup -l > /etc/group.  After I
> did that I tried the crontab -e and sill had the problem.
>
> Then I tried to do something smart, or so I though, and run gdb crontab.
> Unfortunately gdb has problems with crontab.

The offending code in crontab is:

  struct passwd *pw = getpwuid (geteuid ());
  if (! pw)
    return eprint ("can't obtain passwd entry.");

so your current uid is not in /etc/passwd.

if you call `id' you should get an output like that:

  uid=1003(louis) gid=513(None) ...

if that is not what you get, your passwd is still incorrect.
Are you a perhaps a domain user? In that case `mkpasswd -l'
will not help. Use `mkpasswd -d' to get domain users.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.