Re: Can't uninstall Cygwin

Dan Nessett wrote:
> + I download the distribution to CygwinTree (the first time I tried
> re-installing from the net, but because this failed, I started doing the
> download and install separately). I am downloading from mirrors.rcn.net)

Okay so you selected 'Download  form Internet'.  This should have shown you a
list of all packages for which you are not current and given you the option to
alter the list in terms up which will be downloaded.  What packages did you
select to download - did you select Ash, Bash, Cygwin and probably quite a few
others (check the mailing list archive for a more detailed list) or just select
all packages.

>  + On a separate execution of setup, I install from the local directory
> CygwinTree into CygwinRoot.

Okay so now we are at Install from Local Directory and again you would have to
go through the chooser (which should have defaulted to all downloaded packages
that are not current showing selected for update.  This you let these continue
as selected or which did you select to update/install.

> The result of this is I get a file in CygwinTree called 20010425.tar.gz,
> which appears to have most of the installed distribution. In CygwinRoot I
> also get a file called 20010425.tar.gz, but it only has two text files,

You should have many of these files - each in its own directory within your
cygwintree directory.

This does not sound like the Cygwin install file name but actually more like
the ash tar file name without the ash in front.  This would normally be the
first file name in the list of files to download.  Based on current versions
(or last one updated to my system) it would be ash-20010425.tar.gz which is
also normally the first package listed in the setup.ini file.

Please include the setup.log and if there is one setup.log.full from your
cygwintree and cygwinroot directories.