Re: bluescreen during XF86/cygwin build

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 09:54:16PM -0700, Dave Cook wrote:
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>>>I realize that cygwin doesn't install any actual drivers, but it pushes
>>>the filesystem in ways that W2K may not expect :)
>>
>>No, it doesn't actually.  It just uses standard Win32 API calls.
>>
>>With an OS like W2K there is really no way that Cygwin should be able
>>to cause a blue screen.  If it does, it's an OS bug, not a Cygwin bug.
>
>You can't necessarily just tell the customer "it's Microsoft's
>problem".

1) You are not "the customer".

2) I *can* tell you that it is Microsoft's problem if I can write an
   unprivileged program that crashes their OS.  There is no way that I
   am going to accomodate a Microsoft blue screen problem on Windows NT
   in Cygwin.  I might consider it on an "OS" like Windows 9x but NT/2K
   is an OS without the quotes.

>From a customer centric view, if I can run command X on a normally
>configured Linux box and it works, but the same supposedly supported
>command fails in Cygwin, then it's a Cygwin problem (though perhaps
>technically not a Cygwin bug).

You really are out to lunch on this one.  You downloaded some free
software from a web site.  That gives you *zero* rights.

If you think that this is in some way related to Red Hat Linux or that
this is a commercial product in any way, you are sadly mistaken.

So, my official answer *is* that this is either Microsoft's problem or
your problem.  It looks like Robert Collins is graciously offering to
help you.  He is a volunteer, like me.  You are lucky that he is
interested and I'm glad that he is helping you but it is unlikely that
if you find that it is, say, the MoveFileEx call that is causing
problems that I will do anything to fix it in Cygwin.

Of course, I do trust Robert's opinion so if he thinks that we need
to fix something in Cygwin, I'll listen.  I just won't put in 200 lines
of code to work around a bug in 2K.

cgf