cygwin with make

Hi:
    I install cygwin and I can use gcc to compile
small programs in C to create excutable files.
However, when I install gnu make in cygwin and type
"./make check", all of my checking fail for the make.
If it is so, how could I still able to use gcc to
compile my C program? I see the make package in the
setup.exe in Cygwin. What is that package for? Can I
use it istead of installing a new gnu make?

     Thank you.
     Yu Ye Zhou