"Bad Command or File Name"

Hello.

I'm a first time user on this list, a high-schooler
interested in MUD programming. I understand you have
to compile MUD's under unix, the window's 16 bit
integers in my Turbo C++ 4.5 won't work for the MUD
code.

Anyway, I have the commands once I get the shell open
to run the MUD and test it, but I need to get the
shell running first ;)

As far as I know, everything is installed correctly,
however when I click on the shortcut on the desktop or
the start menu link to the shell, the window pops up
for a half a second or so, displays "Bad command or
file name" and closes. I have to keep double-clicking
over and over to be able to make out that message it
closes so fast. How do I fix this? Please explain as
if I know nothing so I can be sure of understanding ;)

Thanks a lot,
Johnathan
jr_goblinp@yahoo.com