Re: case insensitive tab completion

Karl,

You need to make sure that you understand properly in which circumstances
each of these similar options apply:

glob:nocase
   This applies when a Cygwin-linked binary is executed by something other
than a Cygwin shell and hence "glob" characters (star/* and question/?) are
not already expanded. The Cygwin runtime handles this, and hence needs to
consult the Cygwin environment variable to find the option that controls
this action. I never use it, so I cannot comment on its correct operation.

shopt -s nocaseglob
   This applies when the shell is interpreting (unquoted) glob characters
in preparing the argument list for the command it is about to execute. It
works for me.

case-insensitive-completion
   I don't know about this, but my printed BASH manual is a couple of years
old, the closest thing it lists is the readline option
"completion-query-items" which takes an integer argument).

completion-ignore-case
   This is also a readline option that takes a boolean (on/off) argument
and must be placed in the ~/.inputrc file:

set completion-ignore-case on

Judging from your question, the last one is what you. It works for me, as
does "shopt -s nocaseglob".

I'm not sure, but I presume that .inputrc is only read when a
readline-equipped program (e.g., BASH) starts up.

I'm running the latest everything:

% uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 CLEMENS 1.3.2(0.39/3/2) 2001-05-20 23:28 i686 unknown

% set |egrep BASH_VERSION
BASH_VERSION=$'2.05.0(6)-release'

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA