Re: Package Information needed

Oliver Thieke schrieb am 2001-06-11, 18:30:

Hi Berlin, hi Oliver,

> Where can I get information about the contents and
> usage of the various packages shipped within cygwin ?
>
> I browsed the FAQ, the User Guide, RedHat Web-Site,
> local Cygwin-Dir for Info - nothing.

It is true, there is not that much info about some 'specials'
at cygwin's homepage.

Take a look at my server:
http://familiehaase.dynu.com/docs
That is a typical /usr/doc directory of cygwin (with some more
docs as are included with cygwin dist, e.g apache_1.3.20, running
on cygwin, built with cygwin) --> at first look at subdir Cygwin.
There are READMEs of many Cygwin packages.

There are not docs for every package, e.g. binutils.

So some additional words:

To find out more about the most packages, take a look at your favorite
mirror of the famous GNU-tools: http://www.gnu.org
in germany: http://org.gnu.de/

at first there is a complete index of all tools in:
your.mirror.here/directory/listing.html

Many packages got there own websites so you will find links and a lot of
documentation about them.

The second list is in your.mirror.here/software/software.html

GNU is the home of many tools included in Cygwin like textutils, findutils,
binutils, sh-utils, inetutils, autoconf, automake, gcc, a2ps, and more.

gph

--
=^..^=