Re: How to extract suffix from a filename?

Malcolm,

I know nothing of Mutt nor what interpretation is placed on the contents of
a ".mailcap" file, but your example looks like shell code to me, so as a
fond BASH user I'll direct you to its feature allowing string manipulations
upon the value of variables as they are being expanded.

% FULLNAME="/dir/base.suf1.suf2"
% DIR="${FULLNAME%/*}"
% FILE="${FULLNAME##*/}"
% MAXBASE="${FILE%.*}"
% MINBASE="${FILE%%.*}"
% MAXSUF="${FILE#*.}"
% MINSUF="${FILE##*.}"
% echo $DIR $FILE $MAXBASE $MINBASE $MAXSUF $MINSUF
/dir base.suf1.suf2 base.suf1 base suf1.suf2 suf2

The patterns are matched using shell "glob" pattern matching (as in file
name matching: ?, * and [...] patterns), not regular expression matching.
The MAX/MIN pairs accounts for the possibility of multiple periods in the
FILE name.

See section 3.10 of the BASH manual (that's an old version of the manual,
so it may have been displaced to an adjacent section in later editions).

There is also a generalized substitute mode of expansion. It's documented
in the same place.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA