Re: "shouted down", "shot down", apologies

I know: This is a week old.  I'm just playing catchup.

At 6/27/01 05:39 PM (Wednesday), Brian Keener wrote:
>I am probably going to jump into this now without intending to but this
>really
>does not answer his question - sorry Chris and I am not aiming this at you
>Chris - This is simply an observation. He asked:
>
> >> So, if I want be able to rebuild all the cygwin packages, can I do
> that from
> >> source downloaded with setup.exe?  Can someone recommend a convenient
> way of
> >> building a "test cygwin" from that source which can be switched to (via a
> >> change to cygwin.bat) to try out changes?  Or do I really have to go
> the cvs
> >> route and work with the latest/greatest bleeding-edge packages?  If csv is
> >> the only/best way, does someone have a cookbook which will allow me to
> setup
> >> a test environment, refresh the source, build everything, make a change,
> >> test it out, submit a patch -- all while keeping a working cygwin
> >> environment built off of setup.exe's download?
>
>As someone who is trying to learn C++ and never really worked with it much
>and
>as a contributor to the Cygwin project by contributing to setup.exe these are
>questions that I and many others have asked before at various times.  I have
>read the above links before and probably missed where the answers to John's
>questions were located but as far as I can tell there isn't a lot to get
>someone going on contributing to Cygwin.  Or let me say there is a not a
>lot if
>you are inexperienced in cvs, cygwin, C++, gcc, make as they are used in this
>environment. I have essentially pieced together from various sources (you
>Chris
>and Earnie and Dj and whole lot of others) and reading the man pages and
>asking
>very pointed questions just enough to be able to make changes, compile and
>test
>them and then submit them.

Having done all those things, pieced together the information, etc ---
perhaps you would be so good as to write a wee bit of a document that could
be referenced from the "Contributing" page?

It might not be a "cookbook," but friendly tips are almost never unwelcome.

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around nice guy.
Get my PGP key at
:<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit>
Fingerprint=0x{6E3E_DB8C_2E8C_4248_62B2_FE29_08EE_CF0A_3629_E954}
:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&fingerprint=on>
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."
--The Way of a Pilgrim, R. M. French [tr.]
Potentially Viral Software is any software for which you are not allowed
to examine the source.  Do not buy or use Potentially Viral Software!