Re: Problem choosing exe entry point.

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Mumit Khan wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Mo DeJong wrote:
>
> > I think I have found a problem with the way Cygwin ld
> > picks the executable entry point when both WinMain() and main()
> > are available. I would think that passing in the -mwindows flag
> > (which gets passed to ld as --subsystem windows) would clear
> > things up and link with WinMain(). Instead, Cygwin ld is
> > choosing main().
>
> I would consider this a quality of implementation issue rather
> than a bug. Having both main and WinMain is rather ambiguous
> under most circumstances, and I'm not sure I'd qualify this as
> a bug.

Well, then how does one clear up the ambiguous set of symbols?
I would have thought passing (the default) -mconsole or -mwindows
would take care of that.

> Mo, do you have any reason to have both, or do you have a project
> that defines both?

I am trying to get an existing source base (Tcl/Tk -> tk/win/winMain.c)
working the same way with VC++ and gcc. The generated wish executable
acts differently when called via main() vs WinMain().

I agree that this is an edge case, but it seems wrong to me.
If folks don't agree that it is a bug then I will just add
the -e flag to Tcl/Tk's configure script and be done with it.
If folks agree that it is a bug worth fixing, then I will
write up an autoconf macro that checks for this case so
things will work with the -e flag once fixed.

cheers
Mo