Re: Does -mno-cygwin sometimes have no effect?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Even if there was an easy way to detect this scenario, I think that
> adding the detection to ld would be a lot of work.  ld doesn't
> understand the -mno-cygwin option.  That's a gcc option.

I agree.  Not will it involve lots of work, it will still remain error-
prone, defeating the purpose of it.

> This is not something that I'm interested in doing.  I don't know if
> anyone else wants to take a stab at it.  I can't guarantee that a
> patch would be accepted by the binutils PE maintainer (DJ), however.
> I suspect that it could be pretty intrusive in bfd/ld.

As far as binutils is concerned, there is no difference between cygwin and
mingw BFDs -- both are PE format files. I did do some work a long time ago
by injecting special strings in object files that the linker could check
for consistency, but that was also troublesome and unlikely to be accepted
by binutils maintainers, for good reason.

Regards,
Mumit