dlopen/dlsym without cygwin.dll

Dear,

is there a way to use dynamic loading at runtime
without using cygwin.dll ( gcc -mno-cygwin)?
( So the library is not linked at startup, but while running
  usualy initiated by the user of the program.)
I've looked around and I do not see many options.

When linking the linker complains that dlopen, dlsym, dlerror
are unresolved symbols. Is there a library, like wsock32 for sockets,
that provides these or an (easy ;-) ) alternative ?

Regards,

Henk