Libtool for Cygwin question

Forgive me if this is something I should have been able to find the answer
to myself, but I have not been able to.

I'm attempting to learn Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool, and it's time to
start trying examples.  I'd like to do this in Cygwin.  From what I can
tell, the standard Cygwin distribution contains Autoconf and Automake, but
not Libtool.

Questions:
1. Is there a Cygwin-specific libtool or patch for libtool, or is Cygwin
support inherent in the normal Libtool 1.4 release?
2. The Libtool 1.4 readme lists platforms for which shared library support
has been implemented, and I don't see Cygwin or Windows listed.  Is this
accurate?  Is it not yet possible to use Libtool to handle shared libraries
in Cygwin nor Building on Cygwin for Windows target?  Any experimental
patches?
3. The Libtool 1.4 readme says I will need to apply the patch at the end of
the document to installed automake scripts until the next release of
Automake, but it doesn't say what release that will be.  How do I know if
this next release referred to has or has not occurred per the current
Cygwin Automake package?

Thanks for any help,

	Steve Jorgensen