cron ignores my settings

I'm having a devil of a time getting cron to do anything under cygwin.  Is
there a way to do diagnostics, or see cron error info or check how cron is
setup to figure out why it isn't working?

I am logged in as Administrator on a Windows 2000 machine.  I use crontab
-e to put in a task.  The task is:

40 08 * * * /u/srcmail/sh/runmc

Of course the header information is all about not editing the crontab file
directly.  I left that out since we've all seen it.  I've even tried
setting the runmc script with chmod +x which doesn't seem to do anything as
ls still shows it has no execute privilege.   Please note that the runmc
script does execute and work properly when I call it manually!  So the
problem is probably with cron or the cygwin setup.

I really appreciate your help!

Devin McRorie