Odd mv behaviour

When I run mv it seems to go about moving directories in two different ways.
Sometimes it just changes the location of the source directory in the file
system.  Other times it begins to copy the contents of the entire directory
to the target.  I am trying to move very large files and I would really like
for mv to do its thing the former way.

Any ideas on why it's doing this?  How can I make sure it will mv stuff the
fast way?

Thanks