Re: Untangling security - W2K on NT domain

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 01:30:12AM -0700, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
> What might be a nice goal for the future would be to ask the user if they
> want to launch a security wizard after first-time setup.  The wizard would
> ask a bunch of questions, then set up /etc/passwd and /etc/group, and run
> chmod on everything that was just installed.  I don't know if I'd be able
> to write something like this, but would you want it if I could do it
> successfully?

With pleasure. If you like, you could participate in the efforts
which are currently in progress to make the setup tool way more
useful than it was already before. Today, only a small script
is run which creates a default /etc/passwd file by calling
`mkpasswd -l'. It would be useful to have a script or an extension
to setup which ask the user about the environment and the security
needs and then calls mkpasswd and mkgroup appropriately.

It would be useful to follow (and subscribe to) the cygwin-developers
and cygwin-patches mailing lists if you want to step in.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.