Re: Did some porting for cygwin

E wrote:

> At 10:46 PM 21/07/2001 -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
>
>> Marcus Börger wrote:
>>
>>> +freetype.2.0.4
>>

>> NO.  this is included in the cygwin-xfree project.  We shouldn't have
>> two different (conflicting?) versions of the same thing.
>>
>> --Chuck
>

> In that case, seeing as it appears to be useful for more than just X
> applications, would it be worthwhile moving it from the cygwin-xfree
> project to a package under the base cygwin distribution?

Actually, The Right Thing(tm) to do is:
   (a) wait for the dependency stuff in setup.exe to settle down.
   (b) which is a pre-req for: convince Suhaib/others to split up the
xfree distribution into package-pieces.  Currently, *all* DLLs are in a
monolithic tarball, even though fonts have their own tarball, the server
has its own tarball, etc.  E.g. "freetype" binaries are intermingled
with everything else; the packaging is not source-code-dist specific.
   (c) convince Suhaib/others to also add the freetype *exe's* to this
(as-yet-nonexistent) freetype tarball (currently, only libs and headers
are included in the monolithic "all-dlls" tarball.)
   (d) migrate all cygwin-xfree packages over to the "official"
distribution/setup.exe structure.

AFAIK, this ^^^^ is the current plan of action for cygwin-xfree (well,
(a) and (d) are; (b) & (c) are my wish-list for freetype).

> Still only one version, but a wider audience.  Freetype compiled with no
> actual source modifications once you'd frigged around with one of the
> config files a bit IIRC, so unless there are some cygwin-xfree patches
> to it that make is unusable otherwise, it shouldn't be too difficult.

The cygwin-xfree people get justifiably upset when a "fork" like this
happens (and make no mistake, what you're proposing is a fork -- or will
become one once the inevitable version-skew happens).  Go read up on the
xpm/xpm-nox "discussions" on the cgywin-apps and cygwin-xfree mailing lists.

Besides, freetype is useless without the X libraries, anyway.  If they
are going to do the work, let them.

--Chuck