Re: Did some porting for cygwin

E wrote:

> At 12:36 PM 22/07/2001 -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>
>> The cygwin-xfree people get justifiably upset when a "fork" like this
>> happens (and make no mistake, what you're proposing is a fork -- or
>> will become one once the inevitable version-skew happens).
>

> I think the mistake is on your part.  I am not proposing a fork.  I am
> suggesting that the freetype package be contributed by cygwin-xfree into
> the base set of packages for cygwin.

Ah. It sounded like you wanted a freetype package, separate from what
was distributed (already) by the cygwin-xfree people.  Sorry for the
misunderstanding.

> If the answer to that is "it will
> happen soon, just wait a bit" then that's fine.

I *think* that is the current plan -- modulo splitting it out from the
Xbin.tgz package and into its own "freetype" package.  If the
cygwin-xfree folks don't want to do that, then it ain't gonna happen --
cgf has already given them veto power *specifically* over libfreetype.
(Long story, go read the thread in cgywin-xfree mailing list archives)

> You could have said
> that without the condescendence(tm).

Didn't intend to be so.  Sorry if it came across that way.

>> Besides, freetype is useless without the X libraries, anyway.
>

> Well, judging from the original email, it is at least useful for PHP,
> which is not X based to my knowledge.  I know I've used it in another
> application that was not X based.  So I guess it is not totally useless
> with the X libraries, anyway.

<crotchety voice> Well, back in the day when I provided libfreetype-1
<cough hack></crotchety voice>  from the CygUtils webpage, it did depend
on X.  However, it appears that freetype-2 no longer does -- I just did
a cygcheck on the latest libfreetype.dll from
cygwin-xfree-4.1.0/Xbin.tgz, and it doesn't depend on any of the X
dll's.  So, it looks like you're right -- my info was out of date.
   Sorry for the confusion.

--Chuck