Re: spam

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 05:56:35PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>In the past, cygwin used ORBS.  But now we can't.

We do use the ORBS replacements that have cropped up but they don't seem
to be as effective as ORBS.

>Thus the increase in spam.  However, I haven't noticed multiple spams
>from the same address (unless the multiples come VERY close together)
>-- so I assume that someone -- probably cgf -- is manually blocking
>each spammer.  Perhaps not.

Yep.  I block every spam I see.  In fact, if I see spam in binutils, I
block it there and in many other mailing lists, including cygwin.  So,
the cgf spam coverage should be pretty good.

However, when I am on vacation or away from the computer (a regrettably
rare event) you may see some spam flitting by.

I would suggest that the best response to spam is to send email to the
*proper* place, i.e.  the originating site.  Sending a "why doesn't
someone do something about this" response is just, as Chuck says, adding
to the annoyance.

The only thing that I hate more than spam itself is the responses to
spam.  It's like yelling at someone in the library because they were
talking too loudly.

cgf