RE: Text editors under Cygnus

# The X in Xemacs does not refer to the X window system.

It did originally.  But these days both Emacs and XEmacs
can be compiled and used either with or without X.  One
vs the other is a tradeoff:  XEmacs version releases
are a step ahead of the FSF's Emacs releases, but
more elisp packages work in Emacs than in XEmacs.

What is unfortunate is that the two are fairly
mutually incompatible; it is _possible_ to write
lisp that will work in either, but as far as that
goes it's _possible_ to write code that will work
in either C or Perl -- but it's an exercise in
adaptive engineering.

I use Emacs because it's what I started using
when I wasn't clear on the differences, and now
I have megabytes of lisp I don't want to port.

--
Your font seems to be:    proportional     fixed
                                             ^

(Fontmeter only accurate for about 90% of fonts.)