[Fwd: Re: Setup problems - windows 98]

It might be a good idea to try reinstalling, particularly in this case
where mount looks right but PATH isn't working. And that error about
your
home not being set is not good- it sounds as though the .profile wasn't
getting run. You should be able to run it manually by typing
. .profile (from the directory the profile resides in)

If your mounts are okay, and PATH=/usr/bin:/anything_else
you should be able to run the commands and it should find them. If not,
you can try deleting/moving everything and do a fresh download/install.

HTH,
Peter

> path home site:cygwin.com

okay I will try this or something similar

> That said- it sounds like you don't have a "home" directory, or cygwin
> isn't picking up on it. But that shouldn't affect the path problem...
> You should have an environment variable set by windows that tells where
> your home directory is- if you don't, right click on "My Computer"
> choose "Properties" and select the "Environment" tab, and create
> yourself a variable called "HOME" with the value of a directory you want
> to use as your home directory.

I don't have an environment tab - I can shove a line in autoexec.bat but
since I explicitly set HOME in the .profile I don't see that this ought
be necessary.

> I think that your mounts may be incorrect- check the documents on how to
> use the "mount" command- I think there is a -m option or something. You
> want to make sure that c:\mair\cygwin is mounted as "/". Then it follows
> that c:\mair\cygwin\bin is mounted as "/bin". Try just typing "mount" at
> the bash prompt.

well obviouslyt this doesn't do anything - that's my problem!
"C:/mair/cygwin/bin/mount" gives a loist of results that look about
right:

bash-2.05$ "C:/mair/cygwin/bin/mount"
C:\mair\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\mair\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\mair\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)

I will try google...