Re: TCP Wrappers Port

Ok, then my questions are answered :)

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 05:44:12PM -0400, Prentis Brooks wrote:
> > Please don't take my words the wrong way.  I am only considering this based
> > on win32 operability.  sys_nerr and sys_errlist work in your patch now, but it
> > is possible that it may change later, while the strerror() is part of the
> > win32 platform.  Also, sys_nerr and sys_errlist do not contain any of the
> > win32 error codes.  But, I am not saying we have to make this change, and I am
> > not looking to do this without some idea as to how the Cygwin community wants
> > to manage this.  If we stick with sys_nerr and sys_errlist (Unix basis) then
> > the community is committing to keeping that functionality in the Cygwin
> > environment, we keep this patch and move forward.  Personally, I like the
> > simplicity of your patch.  However, if the community does not want to make that
> > commitment and chooses instead to work more in line with the win32 based
> > API, then we need to use the str_error() route.  Both work, two answers to the
> > same problem, and both have their good points and bad.  It is just a matter
> > of which way the community chooses to support.  I can work this either way,
> > in fact, your patch is easier to maintain on the tcp_wrapper end.
> >
> > I am waiting for some feedback from the other maintainers on this list,
> > specifically those responsible for the heart of cygwin and I intend to follow
> > their lead.  Once I have some response to this, I plan to contact the
> > author and explain the patches as well.  If they choose to maintain the
> > sys_nerr and sys_errlist, as someone mentioned earlier, then we just move
> > forward.  I hope, I am wording this properly as I do not mean to hurt any
> > feelings or suggest that your patch was not sufficient.  I just happened to
> > find another way before I found yours.
> >
> > On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Mumit Khan wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I really don't see why you would want to change anything at all! My
> > > trivial patch does the job just fine, and it's been accepted by the
> > > author, which means that the next release should not need any changes
> > > for Cygwin.
> > >
> > > Principle of minimum changes to existing packages is a good one.
>
> Just my 2 ct:
>
> - The principle of minimum changes is actually a good thing. The
>   less intrusive Cygwin specific changes to existing packages are,
>   the more attendance you'll get from the package maintainers to
>   include the Cygwin patches into the main source tree. Which in turn
>   lowers your need to patch packages again and again when new versions
>   are released.
>
> - Since the author has already included Mumit's Cygwin related patch
>   it's better to follow that way.
>
> - If you think to have a better solution feel free to work closer to
>   the author on the next package release. It's usually better to
>   have a new generic solution instead of a target specific patch.
>
> Tell me when I shall stop bloviating.

> [...]

Prentis Brooks	| prentis@aol.net | 703-265-0914 | AIM: PrentisB
System Administrator - Web Infrastructure & Security

       A knight is sworn to valor.  His heart knows only virtue.  His blade
       defends the helpless.  His word speaks only truth.  His wrath undoes the
       wicked. - the old code of Bowen, last of the dragonslayers