Re: libiconv-1.7 on cygwin-1.3.2 problems

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Charles Wilson schrieb am 2001-07-27, 21:11:
>
> [...]
> : > Take a look at
> : > http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/robert-collins/
> : >
> : > You'll see my collection of *EXPERIMENTAL* packages (binutils, automake,
> : > robert's hack-up libtool, etc.  These tools were used to build -- yep,
> : > you guessed it -- libiconv.  My version passes all tests; I didn't have
> : > to modify the libiconv source (.c), just the tools and the .in and .m4
> : > configuration files.
> : >
> : > Anyway, you don't need to use my special tools to USE iconv, but you DO
> : > need the patched binutils to link to libiconv-2.dll.
> : >
> : > You're free to use these ports, but I will provide NO support. Zero. "It
> : > works for me." (Also, note that the list will provide no support if you
> : > choose to replace your "official" versions of automake, binutils, etc
> : > with these *EXPERIMENTAL* versions.)
>
> That seems to be a problem now.
> Is there someone able to support this?

NO.  I posted the information as a "Hey -- here's what's coming.  Don't
waste your time on a deadend."  But, it's NOT ready for "production" use.

> I got now problems building bleadperl.
> At first configure isn't able to find libiconv, because there is no libiconv.a:
> [...]
> No -lPW.
> No -lx.
> No -liconv.
> No -lutil.
> Found -lcygipc.
> [...]
>
> How to create a valid libiconv.a or against what should i link instead of
> libiconv.a?

cd /usr/bin && rm cygiconv*.dll
cd /usr/lib && rm libiconv.dll.a
--> removing the dll stuff will force the link to use the static
archive.  Which should work.  Currently, configure is trying to link, ld
uses the .dll.a by default and FAILS, so assumes that it can't work.

> Second problem is during 'make' of bleadperl which works o.k
> before i installed the patched binutils && libtool && automake,
> but i'm not sure if it belongs to binutils:

Makefile is NOT built by automake or libtool or binutils.  Makefile is
created from Makefile.PL by perl.

This is bleadperl -- thus, you probably cvs-updated your perl source
code *as well as* installing the new *EXPERIMENTAL* build tools.
Therefore, either Makefile.PL is broken or your perl is broken.  QED.

--Chuck