Re: chroot and mount question and chroot bug

IIRC, the rest of the manpage says that chroot will open up a new shell (and not
exit) if no command is given.

I've just tried chroot at home (dated 25 April 2001) and it works, but it
doesn't work at work (which was updated last Friday).

Noel

> This is from the Solaris 8 (pretty sure, they just got upgraded) man
> page for chroot-
>
> "The chroot  utility causes  command to be executed  relative
>      to   newroot.  The meaning of any initial slashes (|) in the
>      path names is changed to  newroot for  command  and  any  of
>      its  child  processes."
>
> So / should be chroot-ed to /view/view0, and
> ls /vobs
> is the same as saying
> ls /view/view0/vobs.
> I can't see it any other way. I mean, if
>
> chroot /view/view0
> ls /vobs
>
> gives you
> /vob1
This is CORRECT behaviour! From your quote above, '... for command and any
of its child processes.' If you look at the top of the man-page, it should
say
chroot [OPTION] NEWROOT [COMMAND...]
You are not giving any command, so the following sequence is happening:
1)   chroot /view/view0
1a) Do a chroot to /view/view0
1b) Now execute COMMAND (no command specified, so do nothing)
1c) OK, done, exit chrooted environment
2)   ls /vobs
2a) show /vob1, because the chroot is no longer in effect!

You need to put: chroot /view/view0 ls /vobs
Or, to have the chroot be in effect for further commands, run a sub-shell on
the chroot line - e.g:
chroot /view/view0 bash

Please bear in mind that my chroot doesn't work (someone else has just
reported the same bug), so I can't test this.

Max.

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates.