RE: make, sh, bash and echo

Andrej is correct, but here's a more detailed explanation:

'make' uses /bin/sh to execute commands.  'sh' is really ash, which
has its own 'echo' builtin.  That echo does not have the same options as
/bin/echo.  Bash's echo builtin *does* use the -ne options.  But even
that one is not as full featured as /bin/echo, which is part of the
sh-utils package.  (In the bash shell, type "echo --version" and
"/bin/echo --version".)

Even if PATH is set correctly, the ash shell builtins take precedence.

Use /bin/echo if you want the fancy echo, regardless of shell.
But that's only a "sure thing" in Cygwin.  /bin/echo on other UNIX's
may not be full-featured.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
David