Licensing terms

I'm looking for a little clarification about the GPL that covers
cygwin, specifically the gcc compiler.  I used to be under the
impression that if I modified something covered by the GPL (such as
a linux module, or a cygwin tool), then I'd have to make the changes
public.  Now it seems that even if I just use/link a GPL'ed object,
such as libcygwin.a, I have to make any and all source code I might
have compiled under cygwin's gcc open source.  Is this correct?
If so, is this specific to cygwin or GPL in general and when
did this happen?

Please include me directly in any followup as I only get the digest
version of the cygwin mailing list.  Thanks.

Matt Clark
matthew.c.clark@honeywell.com